Visit the ArtStarts Gallery
Young People's Art through a Lens-based Approach
April 16, 2016 to September 18, 2016
This exhibition showcases a selection of projects where young people from schools across BC had opportunities to experiment with different digital and analog photographic mediums and explored their potential as tools for communication, documentation and creative expression. Professional artists and teachers provided space for students to create visual narratives and find their own artistic voice through digital storytelling and various image-making techniques. These experiences also created a context for young people to re-examine ideas of contemporary photography as a medium to express critical perspectives.
View Finders is presented as part of the Capture Photography Festival
Exhibition print sponsor:
Discover these projects in the exhibition:
- The Tillikum Lens: Youth from the Squamish First Nation, Osoyoos Indian Band and Xet'olacw Community School in Mount Currie in collaboration with professional photographers and coordinated by the International Sustainability Education Foundation
- How Do the Valhallas Influence Who We Are?: Grade 9-10 students and teacher Shannon Murphy from Mount Sentinel Secondary in South Slocan in collaboration with animation artist Richard Reeves, Aquifer Specialist Mechell Babic and Biologist Jennifer Yeow
- Through Our Eyes: Food and Gardening Experiences: Students from Take a Hike Program, John Oliver Secondary, Green Team and Carrot Club, David Thompson Secondary, Windermere Leadership Program, Windermere Secondary in Vancouver, in collaboration with artist Christine Germano and coordinated by Vancouver Coastal Health Child and Youth Public Health Program
- The Lost Continent: Grade 7 students and teachers Scott Walters (Digital Arts, Language Arts and Social Studies) and Traci Majewski (Dance) from ASIA (Abbotsford School of Integrated Arts) in collaboration with photographer Phil Chin
- A Rainbow of Colours in Our Community: Prince Charles Elementary School in Surrey. Whole school project: 6 different classrooms with 7 different teachers including Lori Ross, Kim Pouvey, Lisa Dovale, Jennifer Felker, Sarah Moreno, Mr. Zvi and Erin Santoro in collaboration with artist Carolyn Sullivan
- Capturing Compassion: Grade 6 and 7 students and teachers at Queneesh Elementary in collaboration with photographer Karen McKinnon, singer/songwriter Will Stroet and music producer Corwin Fox
- HumanEYES: Grade 7 students from Kerrisdale Elementary in Vancouver in collaboration with artists Kim Villagante and Ayendri Pererra
- Environmental Impacts (Snapshots): Grade 11, 12 and 5 students from Mark R Isfeld Secondary in Courtenay in collaboration with artists Brendan McLeod, Zack Whyte and Jabin Postal
Explore exhibitions that have been presented by ArtStarts since we opened our young people's gallery in 2006.
More to Do at the ArtStarts Gallery
On the last Saturday of the month, we host ArtStarts on Saturdays, a free workshop series for families that features 45-minute, multi-disciplinary, culturally diverse workshops led by some the best children's artists. Also join us for special events throughout the year, such as Vancouver Draw Down and Culture Days.