Visit the ArtStarts Gallery
The ArtStarts Gallery is the first in Canada devoted exclusively to young people's art. Since the gallery opened in 2006, our exhibitions have celebrated the exciting artwork that emerges when students, educators and professional artists work together to deepen learning, creativity and community connections.
Our exhibitions often showcase the inspiring work resulting from ArtStarts' Artists in the Classroom program, which supports opportunities for schools to work directly with professional artists to learn in and through the arts.
Botanimalogy: Expressions of Nature
April 23 to August 31, 2013
How do today’s creative young minds experience the natural world? Discover how students from across BC, in Kindergarten to Grade 12, explore nature’s imprints with camera-less photography, express their identity through animal symbolism, research local birds with puppet-making and theatre, communicate their concerns for the environment in their own short films, and more.
Projects Exhibited in Botanimalogy at the ArtStarts Gallery:
- M V Beattie Elementary, Enderby: “A Bird’s Eye View of Enderby” by Grade 3 students, with artists Cathy Stubington and Julie Ross
- Arrow Lakes School District, Nakusp: “Patterns and Geometry in Nature” by Grade K-11 students, with artist Morgan Bardati
- Peterson Road Elementary, Langley: “Embracing Me” by Grade 5-7 students, with artist Anastasia Hendry
- South Broadview Elementary, Salmon Arm: “Our Community Sky” by Grade 1-5 students, with artist Zev Tiefenbach
- Kitsilano Secondary School, Vancouver: “Botanical Traces: Lumen Prints and the Environment” by Grade 11-12 students, with artist Phyllis Schwartz
- Prince of Wales Secondary, Vancouver: “Digital Media Workshop “ by Grade 10 students, with Pacific Cinemateque
Stay tuned for more details!
The Greater Vancouver Art Contest Mini-Exhibition
Opening June 15, 2013
We're pleased to be displaying artwork from the Greater Vancouver Art Contest, created by students in Grades 8 to 12. Founded in 2012 by a passionate art student in West Vancouver, the Greater Vancouver Art Contest is an art contest for youth by youth. GVAC's vision is to transform the public's perception of art, give youth an opportunity to express and expose their creativity, and create a catalyst for artistic growth in Greater Vancouver.
Visit the ArtStarts Gallery to view some outstanding art by young people.
On the last Saturday of the month, we host ArtStarts on Saturdays, a free workshop series for families that features 45-minute, multi-disciplinary, culturally diverse workshops led by some the best children’s performers on tour.
We host special events in the gallery, such as events for BC Arts and Culture Week and Culture Days.
Our two gallery rooms are also available to rent for meetings, classes, workshops, receptions and other events.
Explore exhibitions that have been presented by ArtStarts since we opened our young people's gallery in 2006.
The ArtStarts Gallery is generously supported by Boeing.