Creative Spark Vancouver
Small projects can have a big impact. Emerging artists across all disciplines living in the City of Vancouver who have an interest in building their careers and working with young people in an arts-based capacity are invited to apply for Creative Spark Vancouver.
If you relate to the statements below, then this grant is designed for you:
- I'm an emerging artist looking to explore career opportunities
- I'm interested in working with young people (ages 5-24) and need support to start
- I have a project idea but don't have the funds to cover the required materials and supplies
The artist's project must engage young people (ages 5-24) and focus on arts-based learning in any artistic discipline. Creative Spark Vancouver enables emerging artists to gain experience on small projects that could lead to new career opportunities, new community relationships, different perspectives on arts and education, future learning opportunities and exciting multi-faceted projects.
Who Can Apply?
Emerging artists of any age in any artistic discipline who are residents of the City of Vancouver, or residents and members of the Musqueam, Squamish or Tsleil-Waututh First Nations.
For the purpose of this grant, an emerging artist is defined as one who:
- has specialized training (university graduation or equivalent, self-training, or training in a culturally-specific tradition) in one or more artistic disciplines
- has completed training within the last five years
- is committed to developing a practice and career that will allow them to work full-time in an arts-based practice when financially possible
Creative Spark Vancouver grants offer 100% coverage for projects, up to $2,000. Grant funds are intended to cover artist fees, project materials and supplies, rentals and honoraria.
Goals of this Grant
Before you apply, please make sure your project fulfills the Creative Spark Vancouver goals:
- Build the capacity and confidence of emerging artists working with young people and arts-based learning;
- Provide young people opportunities to engage actively in the arts; and
- Embrace diversity, innovation and artistic excellence.
How to Apply
Read the Guidelines/FAQ and email us your completed Application Form.
Not sure what creative project you might develop? Here are some examples of successfully funded projects to date:
- A five-day dance training intensive for dancers aged 14-19 to help bridge the current professional dance community to the future generation of local dance artists.
- A textile art project to construct meaingful artwork for a classroom reading corner, using salvaged fabric
- A puppetry workshop with Grade 1 students, from character creation to performance
- A series of arts-based workshops for self-identified Muslim youth, including photographic self-portraits and creative writing, to showcase their beauty and diversity and create a safe space for expression
- An arts-integrated learning project for ages 5-12 to create multimedia dioramas inspired by ideas of ecosystem and sustainability
- A professional workshop and public reading of a play for young audiences, to bring it to the next stage of its development
- An weekly workshop where families learn about plants and berries that can be used for dyeing wool and develop their own weaving skills
- A four-month pilot program of drama therapy and theatre arts classes for children ages 6-12 to explore the healing power of drama
- A project that turns a park space into a musical playground for youth, with hands-on workshops about making instruments from household objects
- Workshops that engage young people in the creation of theatre art and provide mentorship with playwriting, acting, and direction
- A creative exercise to teaches participants how to "think like an artist" by being present to our surroundings and searching for beauty and wonder in everyday routines and experiences
This list is not at all comprehensive. We hope these examples inspire you and spark your imagination. Apply for a Creative Spark Vancouver grant and bring your own unique creative project to life!