Donate


Newsletter


Connect with us

ArtStarts in Schools Logo

May 13, 2013

Increased Funding Available for Artist Residencies in Schools

We're thrilled to announce that the Artists in the Classroom grant program will benefit from increased funding for the upcoming school year. A new grant for large scale projects has also been introduced.

This funding program supports projects that put students in direct contact with a professional artist in residence in their classroom and aims to connect an art form and another subject area to meet evolving objectives in both. AIC funding is provided through BC Arts Council and the Province of BC.

AIC grants can fund up to 70% of total project costs (with the remaining 30% covered from other sources secured by the applicant including contributions from the school district, school, private sponsors and individual donations).

The maximum grants available are:

  • Up to $3,500 for small to medium scale projects.
  • Up to $10,000 for large scale projects that unfold over an extended period of time and may involve multiple artists and engage the entire school. (A limited number are accepted per year.)

There are two application intakes per year: 

  • June 7, 2013 (for projects taking place between September 2013 and June 2014)
  • October 4, 2013 (for projects taking place between January and June 2014)

 

How to get started

  • Review the AIC grant program goals and objectives and the program guidelines.The AIC funding program supports projects that put students in direct contact with a professional artist in residence in their classroom and aims to connect an art form and another subject area to meet evolving objectives in both.
  • Learn more about what constitutes a successful artist residency.
  • Educators: Find an artist to work with in the Artists in the Classroom Directory or work with another qualifying professional artist.
  • Artists: Reach out to educators, principals or Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) members at local schools of interest to promote your skills as an artist who works with young people.
  • Educators and Artists: Collaborate to develop a residency project customized to the school or classroom.
  • Applications for AIC funding should be submitted by the school.

Learn more about the Artists in the Classroom grant program and how to apply.

Social Sharing


Past Stories