IMPORTANT UPDATE: We have updated Artists in the Classroom grant timelines and offerings due to the impacts of COVID-19 on schools. We are providing two intakes for the 2020-21 school year. Our COVID Relief intake is for classroom projects taking place between September-November. To learn more about this one-time intake, please visit the COVID Relief Artist in the Classroom grant page. To learn more about the regular intake, please see the information provided below.
Artists in the Classroom grants bring professional artists into schools for rich learning experiences.
Artists, Teachers, Principals and PAC Representatives can apply for Artists in the Classroom (AIC) Grants to bring professional artists into the classrooms. Through AIC, artists and educators collaborate to expand the role of arts in education and activate learning for young people across BC. AIC Grants support projects in schools across BC that demonstrate artistic excellence, strong curricular connections, high levels of student engagement and an active partnership between educators and professional artists.
Artists in the Classroom grants are disbursed by ArtStarts in Schools through a partnership agreement with BC Arts Council and funded by the Province of British Columbia.
Projects can take place anytime during the 2020-21 School Year. For this intake only, you can apply for retroactive funding for projects that start any time from September 2020 onwards. Please remember that funding is not guaranteed and projects that apply for retroactive funding should have a plan in place should you not receive the grant.
New Application Form: We have updated all of our systems at ArtStarts. We are pleased to share that we have a new application form for AIC for 2020-21! The form is entirely online and can be edited by multiple collaborators. The form also calculates grant amounts for you and streamlines the granting process. You can learn more about how to use the form here. The structure and eligibility of the grant is the same, we are only updating how you apply to improve efficiency.
Artists in the Classroom grants are disbursed by ArtStarts in Schools through a partnership agreement with BC Arts Council and funded by the Province of British Columbia. Additional funds are provided by Telus STORYHIVE and the Columbia Basin Trust.
Grants of up to $3,500 for small-scale projects and grants of up to $10,000 for large-scale projects are available. AIC grants can fund up to 70% of total project costs and can only cover eligible expenses. The remaining 30% of costs, including ineligible expenses, must be covered by other sources secured by the applicant.
Educators: Have an idea for a project but havent found an artist to work with yet? Search ArtStarts' Artists in the Classroom Directory. All BC-based artists are eligible to be funded through the Artists in the Classroom Grant, they do not have to be on the Directory.
All professional artists, teachers, principals and PAC representatives in British Columbia are eligible to apply for this grant. Any BC based professional artists can apply or work on projects - the Artists in the Classroom Directory is a resource to help teachers find potential artists!
As the AIC grant is disbursed to the school for management, check to see if the school in which the project will take place is eligible for the AIC Grant! Search the BC School Listing from the Ministry of Education or the First Nations School Directory. If your school is on either of those lists, you are eligible for funding!
The next deadline is September 29, 2020 for all projects happening during the 2020-2021 School Year. If your project starts in September-November 2020, please consider applying for the COVID Relief Intake. Applications for the COVID Relief intake are due July 7 2020.
We have put together practical resources for teachers and artists in the classroom to help you deepen your understanding of arts in education and provide tips and tools that can be used when putting together your application and executing the project.
Get Help Completing your Application Form
students took part in AIC projects in the 2018-19 school year
September 29, 2020
Deadline to Apply is extended due to COVID-19
June 25, 2021
Final Report Deadline - extended due to COVID-19
Email us at
or call 604-336-0626
Emily Beam ext 110
Director of Programs
Lily Cryan ext 111
Watch this video highlighting a successful AIC project.
Be inspired by creative projects successfully supported by Artists in the Classroom grants. Browse our list of funded projects—or search by artistic discipline, curriculum, region of BC, school name or school year.
The ArtStarts Gallery is the only free, public gallery in Canada exclusively dedicated to young people’s art. Exhibitions often showcase projects from Artists in the Classroom grants.